Thursday, October 7, 2010

The thematic approach: Food

There's been quite a lot of chocolate... even today in Bristol, I was seduced by the idea of an espresso chocolate 'shot' flavoured with essence of rhubarb. Yes, rhubarb. I'm very fond of it! Verdict? Subtle, velvety, gorgeous.
So, in brief: chocolate and cheese in Zurich; chocolate, wine and cheese in Strasbourg; chocolate and berries in Germany, and apfel strudel; cheese in the Netherlands; Welsh cheese tasting (dairy, goat, sheep) today at St Nicholas in Bristol, near the chocolate shop.
Mum and I have needed to stop quite often for  rest and refreshments. This patisserie is in Obernai, France, which is a very pretty town. The food fulfilled all the promise of the window display!


Shipboard for 7 days, the food was, well, very good indeed. Buffet breakfasts and lunches catered to all tastes, although dishes for the American palate were quite evident. I've never been able to handle eating Danish for breakfast! The evening meals (6 courses; sensibly portioned) were delightfully presented and the service was extremely attentive. Interestingly, most of the wait staff were from Indonesia [the Dutch connection?], and the shine went off for me when some fellow guests reported on their work hours - 17 hour days, 6 day weeks, for 8 months of the year. Hmm.
I ate too much that week, and am about to compound the calorie count with a restaurant dinner - which I will still enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment